28 January 2013

Nutmeg Scones

Sledding, you say? A little fresh air and some snow up my nose? Don't mind if I do! After a fabulous day yesterday of frolicking on the mountain, I am thinking of many happy snow adventures from my childhood: digging tunnels, making angels, and careening down the hillsides on our family toboggan. I remember waking up early on ski days, pulling on several layers of winter garb, piling into the wagon where the smell of Thermos coffee would carry us all the way to the slopes.

Now here I am with my daughter at the beginning of her own snow days. Last year she was just a bubbly baby and we would scooch her into the snow for a picture and the day was done. But now, now! She is ready to discover. Ready to play. She is not sure yet what to make of the cold, the wet, the excess clothing, but she sees the delight in all of us around her and she is ready to be delighted too. And what can add to our day? Homemade. nutmeg. scones. What a lovely feeling to offer up to your child the things that you love so much yourself.

No comments: